Kootenay Powder Tours
In south central British Columbia, within the South Selkirk Mountain Range, lies an area called the West Kootenays. The skiing history in the towns within is evident at merely a quick glance. Red Mountain Resort in Rossland, and Whitewater Ski Resort in Nelson are the two most developed ski areas in the region, and have long been recognized as some of the most reliable destinations for big snowfall.
Consider being in Rossland during the winter carnival, which is the longest running in Canada, with antics such as ice racing in homemade sleds through downtown 'street bobsled courses'... certain to entertain. Usually runs at the end of Jan.
We've kept both Kicking Horse Resort and Revelstoke Mountain Resort within the following two itineraries. One or both of these vertical giants nicely round out the trip that visits Whitewater and Red Mt.
West Kootenay Classic
The West Kootenay Classic is a nine-day tour that visits Revelstoke Mountain Resort, Whitewater in Nelson, and Red Mountain in Rossland. Revelstoke’s resort boasts the largest vertical of any ski area in North America. Cat and Heli Skiing are both offered from the resort as day skiing options for anyone interested in the upgrade. RMR has been investing more into their summer glading program, opening up more and more treed runs in the vast forest areas that are within the resort's boundary.
Whitewater is located in the shadow of Mt. Ymir and is famous for deep, dry powder and perfectly gladed tree runs. A recent expansion has opened up an entire new side of the mountain, with another chairlift and base area. The mid-week crowds are small, and the locals are friendly and welcoming. The hip city of Nelson has a population of 10,000, offering a wide variety of international cuisine and a vibrant nightlife.
The locals in Rossland have had their hidden gem of a ski area for decades, and in recent years Red Mountain has taken a large step forward in the way of development. There’s been a lot of clean up of overgrown gladed terrain, opening up some of the best fall-line tree skiing found anywhere. Red has always been well known as a leg burning paradise, small in size, with lots of hidden powder stashes. A massive expansion with a quad chair on Mt. Grey has added 30% to their size, which has given this small town resort a very large feel.
- Day 1 (Sat) - Guests arrive at Kelowna Int'l Airport, meet guides, drive 2 hrs to Revelstoke, and check in for 3 nights
- Day 2 - Ski Revelstoke Mountain Resort with options to hike
- Day 3 - Ski RMR
- Day 4 - Ski RMR, and drive 4 hrs south to Nelson, and check in for 2 nights
- Day 5 - Ski Whitewater with options to hike
- Day 6 - Ski Whitewater, drive 1 hr, 15 min to Rossland, and check in for 3 nights
- Day 7 - Ski Red Mountain with options to hike
- Day 8 - Ski Red Mountain
- Day 9 (Sun) - Travel 4.5 hrs to Kelowna Int'l Airport for departure
Cost in Canadian Dollars
- $3565 plus tax - double occupancy
- $3815 plus tax - single occupancy
Tour Dates for 2017-18 Sat, Mar 3 - Mar 11 enquire now
Kootenay Full Circuit
The Full Circuit is similar to the Classic, with the addition of our home resort of Kicking Horse in Golden. Kicking Horse lies in the Dogtooth Range of the Purcells, with stunning peaks and consistent snow quality. Four huge bowls are lift accessed, and several more are available to those willing to put out the extra effort of hiking in the backcountry.
- Day 1 - Arrive at Cranbrook Airport, meet guides, drive 2.5 hrs to Golden, and check in for 3 nights
- Day 2 - Ski Kicking Horse with options to hike
- Day 3 - Ski Kicking Horse
- Day 4 - Ski Kicking Horse, drive 2.5 hrs to Revelstoke, and check in for 2 nights
- Day 5 - Ski Revelstoke Mountain Resort with options to hike
- Day 6 - Ski RMR, drive 4 hrs to Nelson, and check in for 2 nights
- Day 7 - Ski Whitewater with options to hike
- Day 8 - Ski Whitewater, drive 1 hr and 15 min to Rossland, check in for 3 nights
- Day 9 - Ski Red Mountain with options to hike
- Day 10 - Ski Red Mountain
- Day 11 - Travel 3.5 hrs to Cranbrook Airport
Cost in Canadian Dollars
- $3775 plus tax - double occupancy
- $4025 plus tax - single occupancy
Tour Dates for 2017-18 Sat, Mar 3 - Mar 13 enquire now
West Kootenay Steep & Deep
Fly into Cranbrook, BC to meet your guides for a road trip to Whitewater and Red Mountain. Best time for this trip is last week of Jan to partake in Canada's longest running winter carnival, found in Rossland.
- $3185 plus tax - double occupancy
Tour Dates for 2017-18 Jan 25 - 31 enquire now